- The people in college across the nation were born in the '80s.
- The Iranian hostage crisis occurred before they were conceived.
- They have no memory of a time before M-TV.
- "New Wave" is their PARENTS' musical generation; the Beatles are their GRANDPARENTS'.
- Cyndi Lauper, Boy George, the Pretenders, the Kinks, the Sex Pistols are all old musicians they _may_ have heard of.
- They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era.
- They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
- Black Monday 1987 is as significant to them as the Great Depression.
- Their world has always included AIDS.
- Having not endured the Disco Scare, they can romanticize the 1970s.
- They see "Family Ties" as something middle aged ladies watch.
- They watched "Star Wars" years ago, when they were kids -- on video.
- Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums and cassette audiotapes; they may have heard of an 8-track, but probably never actually seen (or heard) one.
- From their earliest years, a camera was something you used once and threw away.
- As far as they know, stamps have always cost about 32 cents.
- The oil crisis is history of which they probably know nothing -- and why anyone WOULDN'T buy a Suburban is beyond them.
- Most of them have probably never seen a real nun, even if they went to Catholic schools.